Friday, December 24, 2010

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!


 I love the British sentiment! It's sorta funny that we in the U.S. use the phrase "Merry Christmas", while "over the pond", they say "Happy Christmas."

:-)

At our house today, we are cleaning, baking, wrapping, planning, giggling, and rushing to finish the last of the homemade gifts.

It has been such a peaceful, serene Christmas season for us this year. Russell and I sat down at the end of November to make our plans. We have done our best to keep our focus on the Savior. As we tell our kids, "It's Jesus' birthday, not yours!"

We made the decision to get each child just one heartfelt, inexpensive gift. We eliminated sending Christmas cards and newsletters. We found our budget couldn't handle our extended families' gift exchanges, so we opted out of them, as well. We planned the activities we wanted to keep, and abandoned the activities that were not as important. I gave myself permission to not feel guilty over the things that I can't do, and have thoroughly enjoyed the things that we have done.

The kids also drew each others' names for our family gift exchange. It's been so heart-warming to see them plan and work on gifts for one another! I think they are finally catching the spirit of giving each other more than just presents they've bought from the store with Dad's money. They are not just giving a gift, they are also giving their hearts and time to one another. It's been so delightful to be part of it! :-)



I know that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world. And I also know that without Him, none of the wonderful things in our lives would ever happen.

Because of Him, and the gift of the Atonement He gave to us, we have the potential to be together as families FOREVER-- not just for the here and now.

I am so grateful for His birth, His life, His example, and His sacrifice for each one of us.

May His love fill our hearts and lives this joyous time of year.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, one and all!!!

Love,
Rachel

1 comment:

  1. I love what you are doing and have been feeling great desires to do the same as my children catch on. This has been my favorite Christmastime ever, so far! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

I will not approve any comments that are rude, negative, or disrespectful. Thanks for being civil! :-)