Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Big Families=GREEN!


I was so excited to read this article, because it puts into words the thoughts and gut-instincts about large families that I've had for a long time.

Here's an excerpt from the article:
Large families tend to buy used clothes, books, and toys, but we hang onto them, passing them down from child to child and even to family. The thermal onesie on my baby today? It started life keeping my nephew and niece warm, then went on to clothe every one of my eight kids so far.
Our family of 10 usually produces only three kitchen-sized bags of trash per week.
If you’re still feeling a little eco-guilt, go ahead and plug your own family’s stats into one of the many carbon calculators available online (try SafeClimate.net). You may be surprised at how “be fruitful and multiply” translates quite naturally into treading lightly on the earth.
According to the first three carbon calculators that Google turned up, my family of 10 consumes and emits less than the national average … the national average, that is, for a family of two. And we were just trying to get through the week.
http://www.faithandfamilylive.com/magazine/big_families_are_the_new_green/


Though I'm not of the Catholic faith myself, I can TOTALLY relate to this article! I hope that you enjoy it as much as I have. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will not approve any comments that are rude, negative, or disrespectful. Thanks for being civil! :-)