Saturday, December 08, 2012

Davydd's Birth Story

They kept two IV's in me until just before I left the hospital, so they wouldn't have to stick me again...


 Things I want to remember:

  • The hours of praying through the night that baby's heartbeat would stay good so there would be no C-section needed.
  • The divine intervention that kept me in pain in just the right spots to help move baby's head into the right place. (Even though I was frustrated beyond belief that I was still in pain WITH an epidural.)
  • The sweet spirits I felt enter the room right when I thought I would burst with worry and overwhelm due to the oxygen I was on and the hyperventilating I was doing in an attempt to get baby all the oxygen he needed.
  • The 9 attempts at getting my IV in that left me bruised and  nervous-- and the sweet nurse who was so upset about it saying "This is all you're going to remember, when all you wanted was a nice home birth!"
  • The calm and kind nurse-midwife who was willing to wait patiently for our boys arrival-- more patiently than I was willing to wait through most of the experience!
  • My midwife, Sue, who showed up JUST when I needed her to put cool cloths on my forehead and give me words of encouragement. (I don't know how I would have survived the nurse change right as things got hairy!)
  • How I pushed for less than 10 minutes, determined to get baby out and in my arms at last!
  • How scary it was afterward to realize how LITTLE ambiotic fluid my poor little guy was trying to swim in!
  • How bad I felt when I realized that I was birthing without pain, but that my little one had to do a lot of work on his own WITHOUT pain relief.
  • How I felt EVERYTHING while pushing-- the epidural blocked nothing.
  • The lesson I learned about facing fears with faith. The Lord's plans are ALWAYS better than our own! If only I had trusted Him...
And now for some pictures:

Me on oxygen-- trying to stay positive!

First Davydd picture, covered in green vernix-- poor guy!


Meeting the whole family!


Alls well that ends well.

Love, Mama Rachel

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you got him here safely! And for those little tender mercies along the way. I just got disappointing news that I'm GBS+ and need antibiotics during labor. So, I can't just stay home and labor as long as possible. I'm really not happy about it, but trying to see that everything is going to work out. Perhaps the Lord will send me an angel nurse like you had!

    Do you care to share what caused you to end up at the hospital in the end? Was that the low fluid level for Davyyd? I'm sorry you didn't get the nice peaceful homebirth you wanted. But grateful for the modern medicine that is available when those plans don't work out. What a blessing! I hope you are at peace with the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like it was a rough road. I am glad that you and the baby made it through just fine. I like to say that I would be so mad at anyone if they tried to squish my baby through a 10mm hole. And I would once I get a look at that cute little bundle of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew! Sounds like quite a story lies behind that list of blessings you want to remember! I'm glad you had your miracles! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on a happy ending and a beautiful baby! :)

    ReplyDelete

I will not approve any comments that are rude, negative, or disrespectful. Thanks for being civil! :-)