Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving Menu



Okay, so this is not the most exciting post in the universe, but I need more distraction right now! ;-) (Please note the baby time-keeper to your immediate right...)

Luckily, (seeing as how I am ready to pop with child) I have a FABULOUS husband who is a much better cook than I am, and he takes charge of the cooking at our house on Thanksgiving. (WHEW!)

Oh, how blessed I am!!!

My daughters and I will do the pies, and I'm taking over the stuffing this year. Wish me luck!



Praline Pumpkin Pie
Dough for a single-crust 9-inch pie (homemade or purchased)
1 cup packed light brown sugar
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 (15-ounce) can plain pumpkin puree
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
PRALINE TOPPING:
1 cup pecans, chopped coarsely

1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar 1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons dark corn syrup
2 teaspoons granulated sugar

Adjust rack to middle and heat oven to 375 degrees. Roll out dough, if necessary, and it fit it into a pie pan. Line the pan with foil, cover with pie weights or dried beans to hold the dough in place and bake 15 to 20 minutes, until the crust beneath the foil dries out and sets.
Meanwhile, beat the sugar into the eggs with an electric mixer until it dissolves. Beat in cornstarch, salt and spices. Stir in pumpkin puree, evaporated milk and vanilla by hand until thoroughly blended.
After taking the pie shell out of the oven, remove foil and weights, poke dough with a fork in several places to vent steam and bake about 10 minutes more, until the crust is lightly browned.
Meanwhile, heat the pumpkin mixture in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring, just until it is steaming hot; do not boil.
Pour hot filling into hot pie shell and return it to the oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 25 minutes more.
Meanwhile, toss pecans, brown sugar and salt in a bowl. Add corn syrup and blend well with a rubber spatula.
When baking time has elapsed, scatter topping evenly over pie and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake until topping is bubbling around the edges, about 10 minutes.
Cool pie completely on a wire rack. Serve at room temperature. Makes 8 servings.




How about some pictures from last year?
(We started a tradition of "dressing for dinner" on Thanksgiving Day. It was fun!)


Grayse Dawn is excited to eat!

Daddy carving the bird.

Can we eat NOW?!?

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, those last few days can be so tough! I'm crossing my fingers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of my all time favorite comics! I've had it saved for years. Makes me laugh every time!

    I can't believe you're attempting all that baking at 40 weeks along!!! I hope everything goes well with you and the little one.

    And I really like the idea of dressing for dinner. My parents and I always dress nicer (not completely dressy) but we're always seriously overdressed for any of the extended family.

    Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

I will not approve any comments that are rude, negative, or disrespectful. Thanks for being civil! :-)