Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Happy Independence Day!

The view from our front yard, as a dust storm rolled in.

For now, due to the busy-ness of life, a new little baby to care for, and the chaos of summer, I will be posting my weekly letters to my missionaries here on my blog. Sometimes, a lady just has to be efficient in her life! Thanks for understanding. ~RK

This was a fun week, with lots of family time, some good food, a few tears, and even a BAPTISM! (More on that later...)

Dierdre got to go swimming with the F--- girls on Monday, and had a great time at the Me--- pool. It has water slides and a lazy river area. I'm glad she got to do something a little extra, since she's the one that helps me the most these days. :-)

We are so excited that MONSOON SEASON IS HERE! (Yay for weather!) So far, we have only had some light sprinkles, big clouds, some high wind, and a few dust storms-- but we are hoping for a few torrential rains with all that. We sure need the moisture. Last week we hovered around 111 degrees during the day, and the LOW at night was in the 90's. Welcome, Arizona summer!

Earlier in the week, K--- came over and watched "The Pirates of Penzance" with Bonny, Dierdre, Lliam, and Gavin. (And me!) We think she liked it, but she thought Maybelle sang way too much. LOL! The kids are determined to expose all our friends to our fun and crazy family culture, and I love it! :-) 

Dierdre cooking her yummy pancakes.
(Yes, that is a diaper box on my kitchen counter.
It was filled with canning jars, ready to go into storage.)

For Independence Day, Dierdre made us star-shaped, blueberry pancakes! Bonny made a strawberry syrup to go with them, and we had a wonderful, festive breakfast.

Daddy is on a diet, but he took Independence Day off, and made a yummy, big lunch for us. We had hot dogs on the grill, potato salad, chips, and my FAVORITE 5 cup salad. (You know, the fruit salad with marshmallows in it? Yum!)

A gorgeous, patriotic trifle, made by our Bonny.
Bonny made us a beautiful trifle for dessert, and we were so full, we didn't eat dinner that night! :-D

Then, we set off fireworks, of course, and especially had fun watching the big mortars in the neighborhood. We had a good time with the kids lighting ground blooms and fountains, and Daddy got the girls going with sparklers. I even read the Declaration of Independence out loud to everyone while the fireworks were going! :-)

Ooo! Awww!

All day, I had a nagging feeling that something would happen with the fireworks, but I didn't want to get worried over nothing. So I just prayed a lot that day, and then said a big prayer in my heart in the midst of the fireworks.

I came inside to feed Fiona, (And get out of the heat!) when we heard a big BOOM! Then I heard Daddy yelling, and after a brief silence, everyone came in the house, high on adrenaline. Ronan had bought a firework that was called a "California candle" that you light and then hold as a fountain of sparks pour out. Well, something must have malfunctioned, because it exploded in a blazing ball of green light, and burned right through Ronan's shirt. 
Ronan and his "war wound".
At first, he seemed fine, but as we were doctoring him up with lavender oil, the adrenaline wore off and the pain started. He was bleeding, but only topically-- thank goodness! He started to panic and cry, and so Daddy went and talked to him, and gave him a sweet, comforting priesthood blessing. I am so grateful for the righteous daddy you have and for the blessing that the priesthood is to our family!

Thanks to the blessing, Ronan was able to go to sleep, and rest through the night without problems. He is healing nicely (As you can see from the photo), and is just fine. And now he has a real "war wound," and an exciting story to tell. LOL! I feel that he was truly protected.

On Saturday, Ronan went to the baptism of his friend, A---! A--- is a fun boy who was in Ronan's homeschool class this last year, and because of the boys and leaders in our group, he decided to take the missionary lessons and get baptized! Ronan is being a missionary, too!

I want you all to know how much I love you, and how proud I am of the choice you have made to serve the Lord. You are setting a powerful, important example to your younger brothers and sisters, and I want you to know I REALLY appreciate it.

Our Fiona has learned how to SMILE!

I know that Jesus Christ lives, and that He loves each and every one of us. I know, through personal revelation, that President Monson is a living prophet, and that we have real, true, living apostles on the earth RIGHT NOW! That is so powerful and so wonderful!

The Lord loves us, and He is aware of all we are going through. I am so grateful for His amazing Atonement, and how it blesses my life every single day!

Love and hugs, 

Mama Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will not approve any comments that are rude, negative, or disrespectful. Thanks for being civil! :-)